The ALEPH Network is an alliance of organizations, individuals, shuls, and more at the vibrant cutting edge of Judaism. We value heart-and-soul-centered experience, and we integrate and evolve spiritual technologies to serve the needs of today and tomorrow.
For a (searchable) listing of all ALEPH Network members, go to our ALEPH Network Resource Directory page.
Who Should Join?
Who belongs in the ALEPH Network? Anyone interested in partnering in the holy work of renewing Judaism, including but not limited to:
- Innovative, creative communities seeking to live Judaism authentically;
- Communities led by an ALEPH musmach or OHALAH member;
- Communities and individuals who/which resonate with the teachings of Reb Zalman z”l;
- Organizations doing the work of renewing Judaism: Hazon, Wilderness Torah, etc;
- Individuals doing the work of renewing Judaism: teachers, chaplains, etc;
- Hillels, Moishe Houses, independent minyanim;
- Rabbis Without Borders (RWB) fellows, who are naturally doing creative, cutting-edge Jewish work which brings Torah to those who thirst;
- Communities led by RWB fellows;
- ...and more!
Innovation and Meaning: A Seal of Approval
The ALEPH Network is not a denomination. It’s a sign that the person or institution to which it is attached is doing innovative, heart-centered, spiritual, meaningful work. It can be congruent with denominationally-affiliated congregational life, and also with organizations, institutions, and individuals who are independent or post-denominational. And unlike a denomination which functions on a top-down basis, the Network paradigm focuses on connecting people, institutions, and communities on a peer-to-peer basis where the energy and “juice” comes from the collective, not from ALEPH Central.
Among ALEPH’s offerings are: a deep pool of liturgical creativity, the promulgation of chant and contemplative practice as modalities of Jewish prayer, sage-ing trainings and tools for rethinking aging as a journey of unearthing wisdom, hashpa’ah (spiritual direction) as a tool for unpacking the holy potential of every moment, the ALEPH Ordination Programs (now ordaining more clergy than any other non-Orthodox seminary), chant leaders’ training program Kol Zimra, retreat-based summer learning at Ruach HaAretz and the Kallah, and more.
We ask Network members (individuals and communities) to give as they are able, in a manner which reflects what they think these gifts to the Jewish world are worth.
Those who join the ALEPH Network receive:
- knowledge that you, like ALEPH founder Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi z”l, are helping to sustain the vision of Judaism renewed;
- connection both with ALEPH as the umbrella organization, and with all of the other nodes in the Network in a peer-to-peer way;
- access to resources shared among and between the communities, congregations, individuals, etc, who are part of the Network;
- access to a a secure online discussion space for Network participants;
- the support of, and opportunity to participate in, the new ALEPH Network Communities Council
- the ability to cross-promote events and happenings to other Network members;
- a listing in our new Jewish Renewal Resource Directory;
- the opportunity to be featured in Faces of Renewal;
- the opportunity to see your work, your community, or your project featured in ALEPH’s weekly e-blasts and other social media presence;
- ethics jurisdiction under the ALEPH ethics code;
- the opportunity to sign up for a meeting with ALEPH’s Executive Director to talk strategy / find out how the Network can best help you;
- permission (encouragement!) to use the ALEPH Network logo on promotional media
- discounted or priority dates for visiting ALEPH scholars;
- access to new liturgical and educational materials as they are created;
- free or highly discounted hashpa’ah (spiritual direction) to individuals or the heads of organizations that make a substantial financial commitment;
- access to the spiritual leadership of students in the ALEPH ordination programs;
- consulting on spiritual development, fundraising, community planning;
- and hevreschaft (collegiality) with everyone else in the Network.
Join us in cultivating willingness to experiment and to explore. Together we’ll go deeper into the spiritual journey of awakening to God’s unfolding as we co-create the Judaism of tomorrow.
There are three levels at which one can participate in the Network:
- Community Network Membership: $36 per member unit in the congregation / community
- Organizational Network Membership: minimum of $360 per year
- Individual Network Membership: minimum of $180 per year
What is a Community Network Membership?
If you choose Community Network Membership, each member of your community automatically becomes an ALEPH supporter, with all of the benefits that entails. We ask for $36 per full-paying member unit in your community or congregation and $18 per lower-paying member unit. For larger congregations, we are open to a sliding scale where you would pay less per member unit; if you're interested, please speak with our executive director.
What is an Organizational Network Membership?
An Organizational Network Membership connects your organization with ALEPH, but the individuals in your community do not automatically become ALEPH supporters. Each institution joining in this way is asked to pay a minimum of $360 each year in order to be part of the network. Beyond that, we welcome offerings from each organization and individual’s lev nadiv, generosity of the heart, and we hope that many will choose to give more in order to sustain our work. This is a good option for small/financially struggling communities, for nonprofit organizations which are not congregations, and for communities which may need to "dip a toe in the water" before making a more sustaining committment to ALEPH.
What is an Individual Network Membership?
Any individual teacher / leader / scholar / chaplain who feels aligned with the work of ALEPH is welcome to apply to become a member of the ALEPH Network as an individual. We ask that such individuals pay a minimum of $180 per year. (If you are a musmach of ALEPH or of Reb Zalman z”l and are already a “chai” donor, donating $18 per month in perpetuity, we ask that you increase your monthly donation to $30 in order to be listed as an individual ALEPH Network member.)
Once your application is received, you will be contacted with in 10 business days to discuss your membership.