אמר רבי טרפון לא עליך המלאכה לגמור ולא אתה בן חורין להתבטל ממנה
Rabbi Tarfon taught: "It is not your duty to finish the work [of perfecting the world], but neither are you free to desist from it."
—Pirkei Avot 2:16
“ALEPH and Jewish Renewal is far larger than any one person.” —Reb Zalman, z"l
Reb Zalman knew that he alone couldn't finish the work: it's on us to carry it forward. This is the heart of Reb Zalman's legacy: it is on all of us, not any one soul alone, to renew Judaism. That is the call of this historic moment – to expand the circle of light so that more and more souls can shine. It's on all of us to infuse Jewish life with Earth-awareness, Sage-ing, chant, embodied spirituality, Kabbalah, Hasidut, and "vitamins" from across the wisdom traditions. It's on all of us to nurture paradigm-shifting spiritual leaders as pathfinders for the future. These are ALEPH's callings, and hopefully also yours. At this pivotal moment, please help us launch the exciting next chapter of ALEPH that begins this Rosh Hashanah 5775. Become an ALEPH member, "re-member" yourself in Reb Zalman's name, or help endow ALEPH for the future. Help expand the circle and spread the light.
Please donate today.
L'shanah tovah um'tukah – with blessings for a truly sweet and good year, Joe Laur, Executive Director
THE YEAR PAST
This past year was a profound one for ALEPH and all who care about renewing Judaism. With your help, we brought Reb Zalman's Psalms for Praying into the world, his last published work during his lifetime. We provided an emergency airlift for Reb Zalman from Connecticut to spend his final weeks, including his last Shabbats, in his Boulder home. We honored Reb Zalman's "re-deployment" with a celebration and memorial event that touched thousands. “ALEPH and Jewish Renewal,” said Reb Zalman,” is far larger than any one person.” Our journey continues... In the past year, you helped ALEPH build on this legacy:
- The first-ever T’rumah Fund now provides need-based financial aid to participants for ALEPH programs, ensuring that Renewal can transform lives regardless of ability to pay.
- ALEPH's recent Jewish Renewal Birthright Trip to Israel was a tremendous success, launching the next generation of young adults into a lifelong Jewish journey.
- ALEPH undertook a comprehensive study of its groundbreaking Rabbinic Pastor program, one of Reb Zalman's great contributions to Jewish life, to inform and empower the next generation of these transformational clergy for the Jewish heart and soul.
- ALEPH began a comprehensive strategic visioning process to ensure real long-term program planning and success.
- ALEPH made critical investments in seeding a Renewal presence in Jerusalem and a new Renewal publishing project to bring the wisdom of Renewal teachers, scholars and students to the world.
THE YEAR AHEAD
Now it's time to build on this foundation to bring the heart and soul of Renewal. In the year ahead, ALEPH plans to:
- Hire a full-time executive director.
- Launch a 21st century web platform for Jewish Renewal.
- Bring ever more of Reb Zalman's teachings, writings, videos and music to the world.
- Hold a special summer 2015 event to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Reb Zalman's historic meetings with His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, with Rodger Kamenetz and other participants described in The Jew in the Lotus.
- Launch a year-long Deep Ecumenism initiative with special components for the Ruach Ha'Aretz retreat of summer 2015.
- Ordain the largest class of ALEPH rabbis, cantors and rabbinic pastors in history.
- Bring the Reb Zalman Endowment Fund to full fruition.
- Create endowed scholarships to continue bringing talent into the ALEPH Ordination Programs.
With your help, ALEPH will continue to offer programs and resources that bring spiritual vitality into the daily lives of Jews.